Tuesday, March 29, 2011

what's in your bag?

I find the "What's In Your Bag?" phenomenon a weird voyeuristic sociology experiment. It's interesting to see what people find so important that they carry it around day after day.

As I've gotten older, I've learned to be more mindful about what I carry. To pay more attention to the baggage I bear and how it changes the way I approach the world. I try to make sure that the contents of my bag reflect the kind of life that I am trying to lead - no more, and no less.

One of the reasons that I adore my iPhone is because when I first got it, it replaced my iPod, camera, GPS, calculator, and Blackberry, all of which would be crushed in the bottom of my bag with binders and pens and the old TI-83 that any good engineering student carries. It's a good example of how clever design can replace a hundred other things that we are liberated from lugging around with us.

So, here's my "What's In Your Bag?" post - feel free to psychoanalyze.

What's in my bag.
From top left, moving in horizontal rows: Macbook Air + Incipio case, pink Play-Doh, water bottle, gold Club Monaco pouch to hold various cords & cables [laptop charger, camera transfer cable, camera charger, headphones, etc.], 4 x 4 gridded notepad and LePen pen, Kate Spade sunglasses + case, hairbrush, black eyeliner, chapstick, Neutrogena compact, wallet [4 credit / debit cards, $21.17 in cash, Starbucks card, High Museum membership card, health insurance cards, ID], dog bag, business card case, keys, camera + case, iPhone.

Now that you know what's in mine, what's in your bag?

0 people have something to say: