Sunday, December 26, 2010

designing experiences

When I think about my hometown, there are a few defining experiences that come to mind. Running through Mountain Park on Thursday evenings in the fall, surrounded by the sights and smells of football in the South. Summer nights at Bruster's that seem to stretch on for hours, laughing at jokes that are still funny after retelling them for years. IHOP breakfasts and Ponko lunches. Traffic on Cole Road at 6:45 every January morning.
Sawra enjoying her iced green tea. (feel free to use with credit)
And of course, our Starbucks. We have a beautiful Starbucks that sits out on Lake Lucerne. On clear days, you can watch the ducks playing on the water. At Christmastime, lights shine across the lake, giving it an almost ethereal glow. And on stormy days, the black water will chop at the dock and patio, lending the atmosphere a pensive aura. There isn't a drive through, meaning that everyone that comes by has to stop inside the little shop and say hi. For the past ten years, since I've been able to drive, Starbucks has become a staple of our Lilburn routine. Meeting friends for a cup of coffee, writing a paper for my research project, or having a conversation that changes everything - that Starbucks has played host to a number of memorable moments, in my life and in others.

It's amazing how that atmosphere, that design changes things. Because it's a small shop, because there are only a few well-worn couches and small tables, because there is no drive through, the ambiance inside that Starbucks is far less commercial than any chain coffee shop I've ever been into. The manager once told me that that particular location has one of the highest percentages of "regulars" of any Starbucks in the nation. As for me, three or so mornings a week, I'll stop in for my green tea and vanilla bean scones (you have no idea how good these things are). Patty and Shanna know what my order will be before I get to the counter. I'll say hi to Joe and Greg, and wave at the police officer who has undoubtedly stopped in for a drink before getting on with their shift. The experience of Starbucks has come to mean more than just scones and tea - it's come to mean that I will always walk out in the mornings with a smile.

Today, that Starbucks is closing. The landlord has decided not to renew the lease, and despite being very busy and very profitable, tomorrow, after a beautiful white Christmas in Atlanta, the doors won't open.

The best experiences are the ones that linger for days, weeks after they're over. It's one thing to be able to create that kind of experience with a one-time event - a special outing, a big celebration. It's another to design an environment that consistently leaves people walking out with a smile. I will miss my Starbucks, for sure. Although I may find a replacement for my morning tea and scones, I will not find a replacement for the experience that changed my mornings.

0 people have something to say: