Tuesday, February 15, 2011

an open letter to the city of Atlanta and its drivers

Dear City of Atlanta, Metro region, and fellow drivers,

Atlanta, from the west side at Castleberry Hill (shot at dusk with a graduated color filter postprocess... feel free to use with credit)
Like most of y'all, I've grown up in (but wasn't born in) our lovely fair city of sweet tea and Waffle Houses. I've endured the five months of sticky heat every summer, the sporadic snowstorms, the Olympics, a Freaknik or two, a World Series win, a trip to the Super Bowl, and every Peachtree Road Race and Peach Drop in between. I follow all the rules: I avoid Spaghetti Junction between 3:15 and 7 PM (in all directions), stay off the Connector unless it's well past dinnertime, and know better than to try and drive down Peachtree at any point that there might the slightest threat of rain.

Yet despite my almost 10 years of navigating Atlanta roads with the best of them, I'm still at a loss.

I can't seem to figure out why all of the lights on Ponce de Leon are reverse-timed to turn red at inopportune moments on Thursday nights at 11:15 PM (... or why we are still left wondering what causes our smog and traffic problems).

Or why you seem to think that metal plates are viable long-term solutions to potholes on such "remote" thoroughfares such as Piedmont Road and 10th Street.

I'm not sure why Atlanta drivers can treat I-285 like a race at Talladega, but if there are any cars on either side of them, they must drive at the same speed in every lane.

I sure as peaches don't know why I-20 east of the city, all the way to Augusta, is a graveyard for tires, or why everyone drives 80 miles an hour ITP (speed limit: 55) and 60 miles an hour OTP (speed limit: 65).

Or why no one (and I mean, NO ONE) can seem to remember how to drive when the weather is below 45 degrees or there is any chance of any form of precipitation in the forecast.

These are a just a few things I'd like to bring to your attention. Since we have no viable public transportation alternative (before I get an earful from Kearse, we have no viable alternative for anyone that doesn't live and work on a narrow t-shaped path ITP... as in, 98.92% of Metro Atlanta's population), these are just some issues that might be worth considering at some point in the future.

With regards,

An Atlantan

0 people have something to say: