Monday, May 30, 2011

multidimensional design and a fresh start

I found out this week I'm switching teams.

For those with a background on the medical side of things, I'm leaving the Vascular Interventions team to head over to Critical Care / Renal Function. From a purely clinical perspective, this is a huge opportunity. Bard's big business is in Foley catheters (this link may or may not be SFW... depending on where you work), and more than 10% of its annual revenues as a corporation comes from the critical care Foley business. I'm going to be leading a huge project involving core body temperature and diagnostics, and I'm tremendously excited to get started.

Of course, I'm sad to leave my team behind. If you are one of the people that enjoys my gchat status updates during the week, I regret to inform you that the days of ambiguously hilarious updates about "PWOMs" and "LBigs" are numbered (or at least, will be reduced). Over the past two years, we've become not only subject-matter experts in venous infusion, but also good friends in the process.

Last week, I sat down with my new boss to discuss human-centered design. It was interesting, in that the conversation was happening between two engineers who see their craft as a balance of logical facts and human misgivings. We are consummate systems thinkers, trying to find where people fit into process.

Not to knock engineers (after all, I am one), but part of our problem in product design is that we try to systemize everything. We want an orderly and repeatable process to come up with orderly and repeatable innovations. Life is messy. It doesn't flow gracefully in neat, logical form. Instead, it flits its way from idea to idea, lumping together things that have no business being put together.

I'm trying to find my place in between designers and engineers. I think, then, it's important to build our lives richly, to cultivate experiences that can show us different dimensions of the problems we're trying to solve. It's the officially-unofficial first weekend of summer, and as I get ready for a fresh start on Tuesday morning learning about sepsis and kidney function and multiple-organ failure in the ICU, I'm trying to commit myself to an exploration of multi-dimensional design as well.

1. Two-dimensional design. I'm a lousy artist, so I take photographs instead. Here's a photo that sums up the weekend in Atlanta:

It's only May...
2. Three-dimensional design. I've decided to build a desk. Well, sort of. I wanted to build a desk. Then I realized that there are desks out there that are almost what I want. So I decided to find a desk to repurpose and refinish. But that's proving to be more difficult than I thought.

Four furniture stores and two hardware stores later, this is the best imitation of butcherblock I could find :-/.
3. Four-dimensional design. A new dance class that reminds me of why I started dancing in the first place. This weekend we're finishing up Ciara's Gimmie Dat, one of my favorite songs-of-the-moment (the video's choreography isn't as good as Vera's). I'm always impressed with the ability of good choreography to translate energy, emotion, and passion from individual movement and isolations to an entire crowd of people.

Since I didn't get to wear Ciara's awesome A-town hat in our video, I'll post this picture instead.
Our brains aren't wired to work in logical systems. Design is just as disorderly as life. Composing photos, creating a desk, and a choreographing a hip-hop class can teach us something about uniting human needs with systems capabilities.

0 people have something to say: